Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Repost: The Significance Of Billy Jack


Billy Jack: My favorite pick for best fight scene

Nathan over at TDA training (See link at right of blog) has a post linking to the top 10 movie fight scenes ever. I haven't seen them all, but I did really like the knife fight in "The Hunted" with Tommy Lee Jones and Benecio Del Toro.
Personally, I was drawn to the movie "Billy Jack" at a young age, and it has always been my favorite. I did finally rent the first movie- "Born Loosers" which was pretty campy but came with commentary by actor Tom Laughlin and his wife that was a real hoot. For those of you that have never seen Billy Jack, I reccomend it for these reasons, from my January '07 post:

"You think your Green Beret Karate tricks are gonna' save you from all these boys"?
That's how this breakthrough movie scene begins. Unfortunately the clips I reviewed for this post don't show the complete fight scene, which includes a great spinning heel kick and a nice Hapkido defense against a club attack.
I cannot overstate how much this movie influenced me, sitting in the theater when I was thirteen or fourteen years old. It had everything; cute young hippie chicks, evil rednecks, horses, Jeeps, Corvettes, motorcycles and some of the best fight choreography ever.
While actor-director Tom Laughlin was the hero Billy Jack, Hapkido Master Bong Soo Han did all the most complex fight stunts. I read a review of this in a magazine years ago, and a few of the stunt rednecks got hurt pretty bad in this scene.
The movie was a spin-off of Laughlin and wife Delores Taylor's original flick "Born Losers", which I am tracking down. That scenario was Billy Jack vs. evil bikers. The big follow-up was of course, Billy Jack, which is still a cult classic.
Billy Jack treaded on many social taboos of the time: exploring murderous prejudice, alternative education and communal living, rape and revenge, and the most controversial aspect-- using violence to stop violence.
The movie is steeped in the paranoid culture of the late '60's and early '70's, touching on the assassination of Jack and Bobby Kennedy, racism and the unknown territory of alternative lifestyles. This film is so much more than a Karate flick, it's loaded with questions about ethics and honor and pride.
I know friends who go nuts over Jet Li movies and the like, but have never seen the pure simplicity of the fight scenes or social commentary of Billy Jack. There are also some famous supporting actors, like Howard Hessman from WKRP in Cincinatti.
Tom Laughlin has remained politically active, even running for Congress several years ago. He and wife Delores Taylor have been working on a sequel (Billyjack.com) that is filled with events of our time, such as the U.S. occupation of Iraq.
For those who have never seen the movie, or need a good recharge of 1960's-'70's energy, watch it again -- I highly reccomend it...

5 comments:

Sean C. Ledig said...

Hey DR,

If you're looking for "Born Losers," it's available in a four DVD box set of all the Billy Jack movies.

I still haven't had a chance to watch the last one, "Billy Jack Goes to Washington."

For me, my 10 favorite martial art fight scenes are, in no particular order;

1. Bruce Lee vs. Chuck Norris, "Way of the Dragon."

2. Chuck Norris vs. Bill Wallace, "A Force of One."

3. Bruce Lee vs. Bob Wall, "Enter the Dragon."

4. Richard Gere vs. Lou Gossett, Jr., "An Officer and a Gentleman."

5. James Cagney vs. Jack Halloran, "Blood on the Sun." (Note: Cagney was a nidan in judo)

6. Neo vs. Agent Smith, "The Matrix"

7. Chuck Norris vs. David Carradine, "Lone Wolf McQuade" (In my opinion, Norris' career jumped the shark after this movie).

8. Billy Jack vs. a redneck contingent, "Billy Jack"

9. Obi Wan Kenobi and Qui Gon Jinn vs. Darth Maul, "The Phantom Menace."

10. "Ong Bak." Pretty much the whole damn movie.

alex borsody said...

I recently stumbled across a really interesting new site, Judomonthly.com, these guys publish a bunch of other martial arts related titles and update them with new article. its one of the few online magazines for martial arts that i have found out there.

Unknown said...

Cool move! Does it work in real life? Yes, I think so.

Charles James said...

Hi, Dojo Rat

I remember when this first appeared and I loved it then as now.

I am going to Amazon to see if it is still available.

one step ahead said...

i take it back about that monthly site i was talking about, more fakers and scam artists on the net