Saturday, June 4, 2011

Professor Wally Jay Has Passed Away

Professor Wally Jay, Remy Presas and George Dillman


It was with great sadness that I was informed about the Death of Wally Jay, founder of "Small-Circle Jujitsu.
As pictured above, Professor Jay traveled and taught with Remy Presas of "Modern Arnis" and George Dillman of Ryu-Kyu Kenpo, and they were known as "The Big Three".

Many of my instructors had trained with these men, who were an incredible resource of self-defence knowledge. My Training partner Corey trained with them, and spent time training with Wally and his son Leon both in Indiana and London England. Many of our lock-flow drills come from the Jay's "Small-Circle Jujitsu".
I was fortunate to have attended a seminar in Portland with Leon Jay. At that seminar he nailed Corey with a "light-force" knockout that put him out cold. Needless to say, I had to drive us back to Northern Washington while Corey nursed a sore head.
The Jay's had their own take on traditional Jujitsu, and were interested in integrating Dillman's pressure-point Karate and Presas' Stick and knife methods into their system.

For those who are interested, here is a link to a piece I wrote in 2006 called "How Small-Circle Jujitsu Changed Everything".

UPDATE: Jason has provided us with this link to the Small-Circle Jujitsu website and many, many remembrances for Professor Wally Jay

2 comments:

Jason said...

How did you find out about Jay's passing? Is there something to read on the internet? I'd like to pass this information along to my teacher. He was influenced in major ways by Professor Jay but is not really connected to the internet. I'd like to be able to find out details before calling him to let him know the news.

Thanks.

Jason said...

Nevermind; I found it here:

http://www.smallcirclejujitsu.com/