Thursday, June 25, 2009

Direct Transmission Of Knowledge


Our Friend, The Late Mike Martello

"Direct transmission offers all possible wavelengths of experiance because it is holographic and infinate in nature. It can be recieved intellectually, kinesthetically, of trancendentaly, through the channels of the mind or the heart or the soul, as well as through the primal instincts of physical body awareness".
-Spiritualist Suyra Ma

Jake and Dana at "Three Harmonies Martial Arts Center" in Seattle were kind enough to send me a few pics of our instructor and friend, the late Mike Martello. I thought the picture above represented what I view as "The Direct Transmission Of Knowledge".
At times, Mike loved to be the class clown and give everybody a good laugh, but when it came down to the nuts and bolts of understanding technique he was serious as hell.
I remember the exact moment this picture was taken; Mike was reminding me that a wristlock is not simply twisting a piece of meat, it is connecting to the center, to the entire body. He is demonstrating. He is making me understand intelectually. He is imprinting the moment in my mind, and he is making me feel the pain of a correct technique. This is direct transmission of knowledge, something no amount of reading or video surfing can accomplish.
Thank You, Mike.

4 comments:

Patrick Parker said...

Cool picture and cool story. This article reflects my recent one...

http://www.mokurendojo.com/2009/06/to-be-transmitted-orally.html

JAB said...

We will miss you Mike.
Save me a good seat, I owe you a beer or three;)
Jake

Adrian said...

What a great picture! What a great moment! I am so sorry I never got a chance to meet and to train with him. Thank you so much for sharing this.

Erik the Strange said...

Yes