Sunday, September 7, 2008

These Guys Got Balls: Part 3



Now this is a true expression of the "Art" in Martial Arts.
It's hard to describe what I feel as I watch this Master's performance: Will genetic differences between my hulking Western-European/American body type - and the supple Asian body of this master prevent me form ever achieving this level of technique?
-Ultimately, I suppose so. But that doesn't mean I can't take the cards I've been dealt with and come up with a better hand.
As a training tool, the ball does not cheat. The ball does not lie. The ball is unforgiving in forcing the body to move in constant circular flowing arcs. I feel the ball should have a little bit of weight to it, to provide a little resistance. In the last post, reader Hand2Hand wrote that he was using old bowling balls in this kind of training. That might be a little on the heavy side, but a variety of weighted balls might be very interesting to experiment with.
-- All-in-all, this is one of the most beautiful demonstrations I have seen lately...

1 comment:

Sean C. Ledig said...

In Yau Kung Mun Kung Fu, there's an exercise called "Lion Plays With a Ball." Basically, it's the same as the ball rolling exercises done in Tai Chi. The difference is that in YKM, there is a real ball and not a pretend one like in Tai Chi or various Qigong exercises.

I've got a couple of old bowling balls for those exercises. Eventually, I want to get them in assorted weights. I'd even like to try to get some duckpin balls for "teacups" exercises.

Thanks for the post.