Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Mike Martello Seattle Seminar



Here's part one of a seminar with Mike Martello at Jake Burroughs school in Seattle.
Mike is one of the best instructors I have had the pleasure to meet and train with. He's got just the right amount of "class clown" to make everything you learn outright fun, but as you can see he is skilled and serious about his teaching.
I wonder if the Judo guys out there have any observations about the differences in the Chinese-style throwing, including the set-ups.

2 comments:

Dan Prager said...

Looks like it was an excellent and fun seminar. Thanks for posting this.

Most of the throws and finishes looked close to their Judo / Jiu-Jitsu equivalents, but the set-ups were nice and looked like they would lend themselves to improving fluidity and sensitivity in self-defence.

I think I'll try out some of Mike's set-ups with my class when I re-start in February.

How did the seminar participants go with the throws (and the falling)?

Dojo Rat said...

Hi Daniel;

I was only at the first day of this series of seminars, which was on Yin-style Bagua. There was not quite as much throwing, and the focus was on concepts and forms. At the other seminars with Mike, or Tim Cartmell for that matter, two days of throwing was about as much as my 50-year-old ass could handle. I always realize it takes a special conditioning for repeated throwing/falling, while I tend to practice more striking/joint locking.
I will be posting the rest of the seminar next.
D.R.