Thursday, April 3, 2008

Get a Grip


Finger-locking Drill

Lights, Camera, Dojo Rats, Action!
We'll have to brush-up on presentation a little, but we're back in video business again.
Here's a little drill on how to acquire finger-locks. As stated, the idea is not to hold somebody down, but to provide a momentary painful distraction to hit. Like the Ryukyu Kenpo guys say, lock to strike, strike to lock.
Try to snake your fingers in to prevent him from reacting and pulling back. As with all joint locks, make sure there is no slack in the structure of the technique, preventing him from wiggling out.

6 comments:

Steve said...

Very interesting. We don't do a lot of small digit manipulation. I couldn't use this in competition, but certainly, if it's a self defense situation I'm going to use any tool available.

C. C. Pieschala said...

I liked that DR!
I'm a huge fan of small circle type joint manipulation. The drill you show makes me think of new ideas as to how to add speed to teaching. I like stuff that makes me go hmm ..

I must admit, I don't teach much on fingers aside from a few Hap Ki Do 3 steps. I'm more of a wrist and elbow type with focus on wrist.

However this is definitely good food for thought.

C.

P.S. Check your email!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
kungfucamp said...

John, very nice... I will be back in seattle this year and we will have fun again....

stay well...

mikemartello

JoseFreitas said...

Pretty cool demo. My karate teacher and I tried it out yesterday evening and we had a lot of fun doing it (although we haven't got the hang of it yet). Thanks!

Dojo Rat said...

Jose-- Where've ya been?
Long time no hear-- D.R.