Monday, December 25, 2006

Backyard Kenpo



Here is a video clip of two guys scaring the crap out of their neighbors in back of an apartment complex.
Seriously, it's a great example of Kenpo and the natural way of moving around a body with striking techniques. This backyard clip is actually far better than some of the old Ed Parker clips I tried to find. The background info says the guy who does the attacking is actually a jujitsu champion, the other guy is a very skilled Kenpo man.
Kenpo is often denigrated by traditional arts as a "slap art", perhaps for reasons you may see in this clip. However, these so called "minor strikes" add up to one hell of a whirlwind that is very hard to overcome. It's easy to see the Chinese influence in the way the guy flows.
There are a few issues I see; a little too much turning to the side or back (I now prefer a centerline concept); occasional crossing of the centerline with one's own arm (a no-no in wing chun); and a few crappy round kicks, but all in all this is a great little clip.
Most importantly, the moderate speed at which they are practicing is to be noted. This is the speed where you can really develop skill-- don't go to fast.
This is a nine minute clip, and the best segment is the very last...

3 comments:

Manoi said...

My comment is on your "Pack of Dojo Rats" picture on the top left of your blog. Do you realize who that picture is of and the background? If you do, are you claiming a connection (guessing your age I think you are a bit too young to have been involved)? If not, I suggest you should take it down or give proper recognition out of respect.

Dojo Rat said...

With all due respect, the picture is of the legendary Count Dante. I explained the signifigance in my very first post, available in my archives.
If you have a personal connection with Dante, I would be interested in hearing your story.
I have also included a lengthy article on Dante in the above mentioned archive, so future generations might know of the early days of Karate in the United States. I will add a link to the article with the picture when I get the chance. You are welcome to contribute personal knowledge on the subject if you wish--
Dojo Rat

yanmaneee said...

vapormax
golden goose outlet
nike air max 97
golden goose
curry shoes
yeezy boost 350
yeezy shoes
adidas yeezy
balenciaga shoes
yeezy boost 350