Friday, February 25, 2011

Friday Fun: On The Hunt



Ah yes.
I've been snowed in for a couple of days here in the islands, 17 degrees last night.
Cuttin' firewood, thawing pipes and playing music.
Here's Lynyrd Skynyrd" "On The Hunt", from 1975. Hmm... 1975, I had a '66 Barracuda with a fold-down back seat, great for dates.

I have the riff down, it's pretty much an Em-G thing, but it's hard for me to play the riff and get the lyrics in their right place. I am reminded how much it stretches your brain to use both left and right side- ie; singing while playing a challenging riff.

--While I'm in a music mood, here's The Marshall Tucker Band's "Take The Highway".
I nailed this a month or so ago and have performed it live a couple of times.
My wife plays the flute part and my lead guitarist pulls some great fills. This is one song that has to be sung at full volume from the bottom of your diaphragm:

2 comments:

Sean C. Ledig said...

GREAT POST DR!!!

I'm a Southern rock fan from way back! I've seen Marshall Tucker three times and Skynyrd on their reunion tour in 1987. It was one of the first dates with the woman who is my wife.

I got a buddy who was at that Winterland Show. He said the floor was rocking harder than any other concert he'd seen.

Also, sorry to hear you got snowed in. That's one thing I don't miss about living up north and out west. Of course, I do get rained in more times than I'd like.

Sean C. Ledig said...

The original members were hard to figure out. They performed at fundraisers for George Wallace and Jimmy Carter.

The line in "Sweet Home Alabama" refers to their support for Wallace.

"In Birmingham they loved the Governor!
(Boo! Boo! Boo!)
Now we all did what we could do.
Now Watergate does not bother me.
Does your conscience bother you? Tell the truth!"

I heard an interview with Gary Rossington who said that people criticized them for supporting Wallace, but Nixon was the one who resigned in disgrace.

But you're right about the new Skynyrd. I have a hard time respecting anyone who supported Dumbya.